Please have the identifications for this unit completed by Feb 24/27 – these should be uploaded to our Google Docs Folder. You may also want to print a hard copy for reference during our class discussions.
We will discuss the “Antietam” reading in class on Wed/Thurs – please make sure that your annotations are complete. In addition, please prepare responses to the following questions (you may write these out in bullet point or full sentence format).
- What is the author’s thesis?
- How was the Battle of Antietam a turning point in the American Civil War? (Hint – start reading on page 94)
- What were Lee’s goals in moving from a defensive strategy to an offensive strategy?
- What was Lincoln’s position on slavery prior to 1863?
- “The Civil War was more that a clash of armies; it was a battle between two societies.” Be prepared to argue for or against this statement – have specific details to support your position.
- Why did both the North and the South each expect Great Britain to support their side of the war? What position did Britain take?
- Consider the components of Just War Theory (see separate blog posting) – to what extent was the Civil War a just/unjust war?
- How did the improvements in military technology impact the war?
- What impact did the Emancipation Proclamation of 1863 have on the war?
- How did the evolving war goals change the military strategy on the ground?
- What was the legacy of Antietam? (Hint – start reading on page 98)