Due Tuesday, Jan 18th:
- Read the handout about the Battle of Antietam
- Based on your textbook reading, answer the following questions:
- How did the attitudes toward slavery held by abolitionists, Know-Nothings and Free-Soilers differ?
- To what extent did the Kansas-Nebraska Act inflame the tensions over slavery?
- To what extent did the Lincoln-Douglas debates lead to the emergence of Lincoln as a national leader for the Republicans?
- Why, by the end of the 1850s, was the North no longer willing to make accommodations with Southern society?
- How did Lincoln’s election in 1860 lead to the beginning of the Civil War?
- What might have happened if Virginia had not seceded from the Union in 1861? How might this have affected the course of the war?
- Do you think that Lincoln’s measures to deal with disloyalty and dissent represented an abuse of power? Why or why not?