Oct 11 2010

Paragraph This!

Published by at 7:38 PM under Teacher Talk,Writer's Workshop and tagged: ,

Hi Everyone!  Miss B here.

We’re talkin’ paragraphs these days. We’ve been writing narratives and sometimes get stuck when it comes to why we paragraph and where do the paragraphs go?

I found this great site that captures what I want to share with you about paragraphs. It lists all the reasons why you would want to start a new paragraph and then explains each one with more detail.

I strongly encourage you to click here and check it out!

What do YOU struggle with the most when it comes to paragraphing?

18 responses so far

18 Responses to “Paragraph This!”

1.   Johnon 12 Oct 2010 at 2:06 PM

When I do paragraphs, I struggle where to put them.
    That’s the only reason why I struggle paragraphing.
    It’s so easy to just write and write and write, but to the readers,
    it looks just like a big block of words. And to readers, it’s not very organized.

2.   Daikion 12 Oct 2010 at 5:27 PM

Dear Miss.B,
    I, struggle most in paragraphing is that sometimes I make too much. Some times none at all. ( That only sometimes happens) I am trying to improve in this, which I am doing now.( Not in this comment, though) Also I am improving, or trying to,in not making the story very jumpy.

3.   Jonahon 12 Oct 2010 at 5:43 PM

Dear Miss B.,
    I struggle with paragraphing when someone new is speaking. Just this year I learned about that you have to do this.
    What are the other times when you need to comment?
    Comment back.

4.   Meghanon 12 Oct 2010 at 5:52 PM

Hello Miss. B
    Thank you for posting this post I find it very helpful to have this to look at so if I forget how to do it or when I need it I now where to look.Also thank you for showing another website that shows us how to and when to paragraph.

Sincerely,
    Meghan

5.   Margoon 12 Oct 2010 at 6:19 PM

I struggle with WHEN i should put my paragraphs, and that showed in my 1st narrative. But this is a great site and it will help me! thank you for posting about it! from, Margo

6.   Aqsaon 12 Oct 2010 at 6:20 PM

Hi Miss.B,

The thing I struggle most with in paragraphs is where to start a new one and where to end one.
    Sometimes I make a new paragraph in the middle of the sentence and that confuses the reader alot. I have a question are you going to use this to help me to make better paragraps?
    Also another thing i’m bad at its not in writing but in grammer.
    I have very bad spelling but I think you know that from my word study notebook already.

Sinserly,Aqsa

7.   Maxon 12 Oct 2010 at 6:24 PM

Dear ms. B

I really wondered why we paragraph but now I know. Its really weird why we paragraph. I think a lot of people will learn a lot from this post.

From Max

8.   Oliviaon 12 Oct 2010 at 6:33 PM

Hi this is Olivia and that website will really help me because I am not so good with paragraphing and where to put them and now I know so thank you! From, Olivia

9.   daphneon 12 Oct 2010 at 6:47 PM

Dear Miss B.,

I mostly struggle with putting Paragraphs in when you put the diolague. I really don’t see why people have to put in paragraphs in the first place! I also struggle with WHEN you should put paragraphs!

please visit me at my blog:) Daphne

10.   Theeruton 12 Oct 2010 at 7:20 PM

Dear Ms.B
    I think I learned alot from this post because I ususally write things and stacked them together, I didn’t write in paragraph. From this post it tells me when I have to start a new paragraph.

From Tee

11.   Catherineon 12 Oct 2010 at 7:22 PM

Hi Miss.B,

The area that I struggle with paragraphing is this particular case: Creating a new paragraph after a different person communicates with another person.
    I thought paragraphing is keeping the same ideas that belong together in one paragraph.
    If you had two different ideas it could be two different paragraphs. That still means your story can have more paragraphs then just the number of different ideas.
    If time passes, setting changes and new characters come in, it will be a good time to create a new paragraph.
    That is my opinion, but I am always willing to try different approaches to writing properly.

Catherine.

12.   Adamon 12 Oct 2010 at 7:27 PM

Dear Miss B,

The thing that I strugle with is when to paragraph, and after todays lesson and this website I now understand paragraphing and can do it.

From,
    Adam

13.   Roseon 12 Oct 2010 at 7:27 PM

Hello Mis. Bulsza,

I had problems where to start a paragraph and where to end a paragraph. I think the link to the website really showed me when I should paragraph, and that’s a good thing because without this lesson I would not have understood.

Sinserly, Rose

14.   kalistaon 12 Oct 2010 at 8:07 PM

Dear, Mrs.B,

I strugle mostly where to put the paragraphs.
    It is very confusing to put them in the story so I just put them some where in the story.
    But till you gave us the mini lesson I found out where to put the paragraphs.
    And thank you so much for teaching and telling us.

From: Kalista

Please write back at https://blogs.isb.ac.th/kalistal

15.   Nicoon 12 Oct 2010 at 8:08 PM

Dear Miss B,
    Before i read this website about paragraphing I use to not know when to paragraph and when to end and start a new one. After this lesson i can now understand and know where to paragraph

Sincerely, Nico

16.   Tigeron 13 Oct 2010 at 7:04 AM

Hi Ms.B
    I really did not know about paragraph before reading the wed site and know I know want a paragraph is and how to use it.

By Tiger

17.   Ingridon 13 Oct 2010 at 6:33 PM

Miss B,
    I struggle most with paragraphing when it comes to rules. Sometimes there is supposedly not a reason to make a new paragraph in my story, but it just seems correct. I have trouble figuring out if I should keep it there or not.
    Ingrid

18.   Miss B.on 14 Oct 2010 at 1:04 PM

Dear Ingrid,
    Please share that spot (or more) in your story with me and we can decide if a paragraph fits there or not.
    :) Miss B.